ASK Staff Newsletter Sept ’19
Welcome to the first edition of Auckland Sea Kayaks internal Newsletter!
It’s great to be back in Auckland and at the new office. I do miss the west coast of Vancouver but it’s hard to beat the back alley behind Wendy’s for views and entertainment!
We are getting into the swing of things at base and are really excited for the upcoming season. It’s the first time Nic and I have a pre-season to prepare and implement new systems & ideas for ASK. Most importantly though is the awesome team we have in place for the coming season.
- NEW tours! We will be trialing short tours on SOT kayaks from Mission Bay in the coming season. More details to follow.
- NEW Instruction Courses. Daniel will be offering British Canoe Courses in Auckland
- NEW Instructional Expeditions. We are looking into offering 3-5 day instructional expeditions which will focus on teaching kayaking, camping and expeditions skills to beginners and intermediate paddlers.
- Staff meetings will happen once a month from November onwards. It will be a good opportunity to address any safety concerns, issues in general and keep us all up to date with what’s happening in the background. Date TBC
- ASK will be operating for the full year for the first time in its history!
- New industrial strength Gazebo down at Mission Bay
- Daniel attended the Interpreting Te Ao Maori for Visitors Conference on 12th Sept ’19 and is working on ways to integrate more Maori culture into our tours
- NEW Staff this season. Welcome on board
○ Thomas Groothuizen
○ Patrick Coleman
○ Lara Hudson
○ Ocean Mead – New Marketing Guru
- Welcome back to
○ Garren Cooper for his 3rd Season
○ Eric Webster for his 2nd Season
○ Ben Boskovis for his 2nd Season
○ Nic for his 10th season with ASK & 3rd with Mission Bay Watersports
Page 1 of 3
○ Daniel for his 5th Season
- MBW officially opened on Saturday 14th September and will be open for weekends and pre-booking for the months of September, October and November.
ASK Guide Training October 23-24th October
- This will be a 2 day overnight trip. We will explore the areas we run our day tours and Island Hopping Overnight tour.
- We will be doing training to bring everyone up to and beyond NZOIA Sea Kayak Leader which is the entry level award here in NZ. This will involve being assessed to the attached standards set out by NZOIA. Get familiar with the requirements and expected standards. We expect all our guides to meet and exceed this standard.
- The assessment will happen later in the season once everyone is ready.
- If you need any help and training to meet the attached before October 23rd please let me know as soon as possible so we can help you out
Did you know?
- Although it is around the size of Japan, New Zealand’s population is just over four million, making it one of the world’s least populated countries.
- It’s no wonder New Zealanders have always been ahead with regards to things like inventions and politics…. New Zealand is after all the very first country to greet each new day!
- While Rugby remains the most popular spectator sport in New Zealand, golf is the most popular participation sport, with more golf courses in New Zealand per capita of population, than any other country in the world.
- Auckland also has the largest number of boats per capita than any other city in the world.
- New Zealand won the first ever Rugby World Cup, held in 1987.
- New Zealand has won more Olympic gold medals per capita, than any other country.
- Dairy farmers produce a whopping 100 kg of butter and 65 kg of cheese each year, for each person who lives in New Zealand!
If you have any ideas and suggestions for the next editions let me know via email.
Thanks for reading
Page 2 of 3
Page 3 of 3
P.S. Below is a true representation to guide life here at ASK =D