ASK Staff Newsletter November ’19
Welcome to the Movember edition of Auckland Sea Kayaks internal Newsletter!
Well it’s been a busy few weeks here in the office and on our beaches. Nic and I have been working away bringing more business, creating new and exciting partnerships, new products. We have also managed to get quite a lot of people on the water at Mission bay and the Waitemata despite the dynamic and challenging weather.
- Flight Coffee!! As part of supporting local NZ business, reducing our waste and providing high quality produce we have aligned with these awesome folks. They have a “Seed to Cup” philosophy which means they own a coffee bean farm in Columbia and support local producers directly, cutting out the middle men. They have also won a host of awards including BEST COFFEE @ the Metro Magazine Awards recently. Another great and interesting story to tell while brewing up a cuppa on your trip. https://flightcoffee.co.nz
- MORE Kayaks!! 2 new Mission Eco doubles and 1 new Mission Shearwater have joined the fleet. We will be keeping them under wraps until needed.
- Auckland Sea Kayaks has recently passed it’s Qualmark Audit which is a stringent audit on our safe operating and management procedures. We continue to strive to provide a safe and fun experience for all our clients and staff. If you have any ideas how we can improve these please let us know.
- Lara will be joining us in just over a weeks time from early December. She is excited and enthusiastic to be joining us! She also turned down a raft of other awesome kayaking companies to join us…. I think it might have something to do with the high level of safety we operate with, as demonstrated by Nic here:
Page 1 of 8
- Ocean has been busy working with a marketing agency to refine what we’re doing at ASK. New brand messaging and marketing goals coming later this month.
- Daniel presented to a packed office of over 50 people on November 4th on his Circumnavigation of Vancouver Island Single use Plastic free. Thanks to Nic, Tom and Ocean for helping to set up and put on a great show. Apologies for all the naughty words used!!
Page 2 of 8
ASK ● Congrats to Eric & Tom on passing their NZOIA Sea Kayak Leader awards last week! Great
- Excitement and nerves are building as Eric’s partner Bec’s is expecting to give birth. My money is on a girl!
- Nic and I were fortunate to be asked to present who we are and what we do at a conference with outdoor education teachers and professionally from across Auckland. We have already taken bookings for several school programmes for next year and are working on adding a few more.
- We have installed new LED lights and metal connectors on the trailer and vans
- Patrick has managed to organise the toolbox and shelf.
MBW ● Auckland Paddle Festival got off to a roaring success with 30+ kids turning up to
learn how to paddle and eventually race a SUP board. Garren and Ben did an awesome job herding these enthusiastic bunch.
- We are in the process of sourcing new beach flags. Actually purchased 2 min ago.
- A new solar panel and battery storage unit has been fitted thanks to Patrick. We have left the the other power pack down there as backup.
- Patrick has been getting some practice in for his wedding recently and it made it onto our Instragam! Irish Wedding: Rock the Boat
Page 3 of 8
Social Media – Ocean
- Tom is currently winning the social media comp this month. 9 days left to beat him!
- We’re trying to do more Instagram stories instead of standard photo posts. This cons the Instagram algorithm and means more people see our profile.
- Because of this, I’m setting up a Whatsapp group for you all to share the odd video clip when out on trips – shot in portrait style from your phone. I’ll then curate these into Instagram stories each week.
- Feel free to mute this so you don’t get the notifications – but can still send stuff.
- Consider shooting a video clip at the same time as taking photos of your clients to save you the effort 🙂
- Also – we’re running a comp amongst the clients for best pictures we’re tagged in this season on social media. They can win a free trip at the end of season. Please encourage them to tag us in pics along with reviewing us on TripAdvisor & Google.
Page 4 of 8
Large SUP grabone deal The 3 to 4 person SUP has a grabone deal from 1st of Dec to 16th of Feb. Use it on the same app as the current deal.
New workhorse vehicle
Page 5 of 8
We have purchased a Mitsubishi Pajero – its to be used as a workhorse – trailer hauler. If this is required then the key is the same location as the credit card. Its auto, but as its V6 it drinks fuel. So drive it like I do. Slow and steedy. The yellow in the photo is added by me. Not on vehicle, its where some branding will go.
1/2 Day tour
For those guiding 1/2 day tour there is an expectation that a half day afternoon tour may come in. The timings for these tours are set up for this to be a possibility. There is also the expectation when required for a guide doing a half day tour to do 2 – 3 hours of base work to make it a full days work.
Page 6 of 8
We got awarded this for all your hard work and striving to be the best in the business. Thank you. Gold Sustainable Tourism Business Award A Gold Award recognises the best sustainable tourism businesses in New Zealand, with the delivery of exceptional customer experiences an integral part of everything they do. A Gold Sustainable Tourism Award identifies those businesses leading the way in making the New Zealand tourism industry a world class sustainable visitor destination.
Found these interesting video’s about NZ history, check them out and let us know what you learn.
- History of Stand Up Paddle Boarding https://www.supworldmag.com/the-history-of-stand-up-paddling/
- NZ Wars: Stories of Waitara: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW20zpWlCC8
- First People in New Zealand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxeCWyC-E6M&list=WL&index=54&t=0s
- History of the kayak and Eskimo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTGGHBq5je8&list=WL&index=22&t=448s
If you have any ideas and suggestions for the next editions let me know via email.
Thanks for reading
Page 7 of 8
Page 8 of 8