Gender diversity training
Recently we attended a fantastic gender diversity training workshop delivered by inside out.
The interactive workshop covered the fundamentals of sex, sexuality and gender, including relevant terminology and research. We explored how homophobia, biphobia, transphobia and discrimination affect people and the importance of actively inclusive environments. We developed together practical ways our program can become or continue to be an inclusive and safe place for young people of all sexualities, genders and variations in sex characteristics.
What was covered:
- InsideOUT – Who we are, what we do
- Relevant statistics & research about rainbow and takatāpui young people’s experiences
- Intro to understanding sex, sexuality and genderdiversity including key concepts such as terminology, pronoun use, transition processes
- Understandings of how discrimination impacts rainbow people when engaging in sport and active recreation
- Scenario based activities to help guide learning around practical implementation of inclusion
- Our top tips on valuing diversity and inclusion of rainbow and takatāpui young people in your programme
- Key questions of the audience
- Additional resources
The workshop was run by https://insideout.org.nz who provide rainbow competency training, professional development and consultation to workplaces, organizations and service providers throughout Aotearoa New Zealand.
Auckland Sea Kayaks attended this training with the New Zealand Sailing trust and would like to thank Evelien van Vliet, General Manager of the trust for organizing and including us.